[Samba] problem reading and creating unicode filenames with Samba 3.0alph a20

Andrew Dibble adibble at s8.com
Wed Nov 6 03:29:00 GMT 2002

hey all,
i'm having a problem creating foreign-language filenames under Samba 3.0
alpha 20 (on stock redhat 7.3).  i would like to be able to open up the
share under win2k pro (english version), switch my language to Hebrew, and
type in a Hebrew filename.  when i do this, the file shows up as the hebrew
name until i refresh it, at which point the characters are replaced by
question marks.  (a ls in the directory on the linux box shows the same
thing - all ????'s)  this seems like a unicode issue -- it works fine with
another win2k smb server.  i thought samba 3.0 sent unicode over the wire by
default?  anyways, here is the global section of my smb.conf:

[global]
   security = share
   encrypt passwords = yes
   server string = samba3 (%v,%h)
   load printers = no
   log level = 5
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
   guest account = pcguest
   hosts allow = 10.0.0 192.168 localhost
   password level = 2
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   share modes = yes
   locking = yes
   strict locking = yes
   keepalive = 30
   unicode = yes
   unix charset = UTF8
   dos charset = UCS-2LE

i have also tried dos charset = UTF-8 and it did the same thing..

any ideas?

thanks,
-drew