[Samba] Adding computer to domain... Bug?

Sean Roulet sean at artradis.com
Wed Nov 6 03:21:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

I have Samba installed on a Mac OS X 10.1 server. (2.2.1a)

I have enabled samba as a PDC, following Brian Gertsinger's step by step on
www.afp548.com.

I have added a Win 2k computer to the domain, and browsed the list of users
of the domain.  I was only able to see the first 3 users.

After much mucking about with the Win2k computer, I removed the computer
from the domain.  Deleted the machine entry using smbpasswd. And added it
again.

I then tried to re-join the domain, but was given a message by windows that
the "user didn't exist" or something to that effect.

The only thing that worked was to open the smbpasswd file in a text editor,
and moving the machine entry to the top of the list (just below root).

That allowed me to join the domain.

Is this an issue with the version of Samba, or is this a known issue.  Can't
really see a large network coping with this in the same way...

Sean