[Samba] Windows 2000 logon error

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Mon Nov 4 14:32:00 GMT 2002

Hello,

I have Samba 2.2.3 running on a Solaris 7 server.  I have many Windows 98
and a handful of Windows 2000 computers authenticating against it for
logging in and filesharing.  One of the users (Jeff) had his Windows 98
workstation replaced with a Windows 2000 workstation.  I have other
Windows 2000 computers and their users can log in fine, and they all have
the same network settings for the WINS server under the network properties
on the control panel.  Anyway, with Jeff's computer, when I login as him,
it gives the error:

Windows cannot create profile directory \\archives1\jrogers\profile.pds
You will be logged on with a local profile only.  Changes to the profile
will not be propogated to the server.  Contact your network administrator.

I press the OK button on the error.  Then this error window pops up:

Widnows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a
temporary profile.  Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you
log out.

I then press OK and get the default Windows 2000 desktop like the first
time you login.  I can login as myself on his workstation and login fine.
We both have the same permissions on our home directories on the server.
I don't have a profile.pds file in my home directory, and neither do any
of the other Windows 2000 users.  jrogers is the only one that can not
login.

I would appreciate any assistance.  If you need my smb.conf or
anything else, please let me know.  Thanks!

			Adam