NIS automounts in 2.2.6 [was Re: [Samba] Bug report]

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Sun Nov 3 14:56:01 GMT 2002

btw...we really need interested parties to test the NIS automount
functionality in the SAMBA_3_0 tree else it might get broken.

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Steve Salvini wrote:

> Hi - I'm trying to get samba set up as a PDC using automounted home
> directories, the automount maps being served by NIS.  After a bit of
> hacking I think I've found a bug in the "latest release" (2.2.6) that I
> downloaded yesterday.  It's in ($SAMBA_SRC_DIR)/source/param/loadparm.c
> and it means that lp_nis_home_map can never return a valid map name
> under NIS; it would've been fine under NIS+ but let's face it, we're
> dinosaurs here ;-)

Do you mean lp_nis_home_map_name() or really lp_nis_home_map()?  The
former is a string containing the map name and the latter is a boolean
flag.  I'm not following you.

> Here's the diff:

As a general rule, it's better to send patches in diff -u format.

> It would also be useful to (to me, at least) if szNISHomeMapName could
> be set through "configure" rather than it being hard-wired into the
> code.  We're probably not the only site to have our own name for this
> map.

There's a parameter in smb.conf "homedir map" that allows you to set the
map name.  Does this not work currently in 2.2.6 ?

#if (defined(HAVE_NETGROUP) && defined(WITH_AUTOMOUNT))
        Globals.bNISHomeMap = False;
#ifdef WITH_NISPLUS_HOME
        string_set(&Globals.szNISHomeMapName, "auto_home.org_dir");
#else
        string_set(&Globals.szNISHomeMapName, "auto.home");
#endif
#endif

> And finally a quick word of thanks as you wouldn't believe what it means
> to an aging Unix dinosaur be able to investigate problems with an "NT
> PDC" by setting debug statements in the code, etc. rather than searching
> TechNet and praying - goodbye horrible black box aka Microsoft NT server
> software! ;-)

Glad you like it. :-)

cheers, jerry
 Hewlett-Packard           ------------------------- http://www.hp.com
 SAMBA Team                ---------------------- http://www.samba.org
 GnuPG Key                 ---- http://www.plainjoe.org/gpg_public.asc
 ISBN 0-672-32269-2        "SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours" 2ed