NIS automounts in 2.2.6 [was Re: [Samba] Bug report]

Steve Salvini salvini at macs.hw.ac.uk
Mon Nov 4 15:54:01 GMT 2002

On Sun, 3 Nov 2002 08:54:44 -0600 (CST) "Gerald (Jerry) Carter"
<jerry at samba.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Steve Salvini wrote:
>
> > Hi - I'm trying to get samba set up as a PDC using automounted home
> > directories, the automount maps being served by NIS.
> Do you mean lp_nis_home_map_name() or really lp_nis_home_map()?  The
> former is a string containing the map name and the latter is a boolean
> flag.  I'm not following you.

It was the string value I thought wasn't getting set properly,
however, ...

> > It would also be useful to (to me, at least) if szNISHomeMapName could
> > be set through "configure" rather than it being hard-wired into the
> > code.
> There's a parameter in smb.conf "homedir map" that allows you to set the
> map name.  Does this not work currently in 2.2.6 ?

...having RTFM re. "homedir map" and "nis homedir" I realised I'd still
another couple of things to add to my smb.conf.  Apologies for blaming
the code (although my hack did make it work for me! ;-)

> btw...we really need interested parties to test the NIS automount
> functionality in the SAMBA_3_0 tree else it might get broken.

By way of penance/apology I'll get back to you about this off-list.

Steve.