[Samba] smbmount works but cannot see C:\WINDOWS directory

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Sat May 25 07:08:03 GMT 2002

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Curtis Rempel wrote:

> On one ME box, I can access the C:\WINDOWS directory without difficulty from
> Linux, however, on the second ME box, the C:\WINDOWS directory does not show
> up as a directory and has a zero byte size when using 'smbmount' and 'ls' as
> follows:

Is the label of C: "WINDOWS"? Rename it to something else.

The windows machine is returning an directory entry with the bit for
volume set and not as a directory if the name of the unit is the same as a
directory. I consider this a win9x bug.

It can be handled by mapping the volume bit to the directory bit inside
smbfs and there are patches for that. But just rename the partition and it
should be fine.

/Urban