[Samba] using samba to replace bdc with nt4 pdc

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Fri May 24 09:44:02 GMT 2002

Anyone here used samba to carte blanche replace an NT4 BDC? I have a client
that I am putting in a new server to replace the current PDC. As they have no
BDC, it would be nice to use linux on the old server and avoid having to go
buy more MS licenses.  I do remember there being problems with this scenario
back in the pre Samba 2.2.x days. Can anyone enlighten me from your recent
experience(s)?

Having a read of some of the docs, I come across this:

Can Samba be a Backup Domain Controller?
With version 2.2, no. The native NT SAM replication protocols have not yet
been fully implemented. The Samba Team is working on understanding and
implementing the protocols, but this work has not been finished for version
2.2.

Does anyone know, how much futher along this process is, or should I just
shelve the whole idea for now?
--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting