[Samba] Win98 join a PDC

Alex Moen alexm at ndtel.com
Fri May 17 11:33:03 GMT 2002

I did reply to this, but it doesn't seem to have made it to the list.  Also,
I have some new info.

First, the answers to the questions:

Attached is the text file of the log file requested.  The log level is at 3.
The computer name is itlaptop, the server name is testbox1234, the login
name is alexloc.

> The same (domain?) user account is being used on
> both the Win2k/W98 login attempts?

Yes.  It works perfectly on the Win2K server, but only every other time with
the Win98.  Also, I have tried this with another Win98 computer, and the
problem also shows itself there, so I don't believe that it's a client
issue...  Also, both the Win98 clients that I have tried work fine on our
main WinNT based network, isolated from the test network that I am
experiencing the problem with.

NEW INFORMATION:

I got frustrated, and grabbed a laptop that I have with RedHat 7.2 on it.  I
installed Samba 2.2.4 (compiled it from source, not RPM) and copied (!) the
smb.comf from the Sun machine to the Linux box.  It works!!!  The same
config on a Linux machine works, but does not on a Sun machine with the
exact same compiled version of Samba on it.  I installed the user exactly
the same way, with the same shares and login name/password combination.  (I
did kill samba processes on the Solaris box b4 bringing it up on Linux.)

Now: the question is what is different.  The Linux box is using MD5
passwords, while the Solaris is using crypt.  Could this be a problem?  I
don't think so, but I am not sure...  The only other thing I can think of is
a compile time problem that is not allowing things to work well on the
Solaris.

Any ideas out there in Sambaland???

Thanks for all of the help so far!!!

Alex