[Samba] quick question

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Thu May 16 13:21:04 GMT 2002

Are there any options to allow a block device to be accessable
over samba?   Obviously the ioctl operations would not be
available, but I would like to be able to perform read and write
operations to a block device that is visible from an smb mount.

For example, if I had access to /dev/cdrom (or more likely,
an equivalent file in a different directory), and would like
to read the iso image from another machine.

If there is no option in smb to allow that now, how hard would
it be to patch samba to allow that?  (ie. get size of block
device to present proper file length, and force all read and
writes to be of the proper block size).

Please CC me in any replies.

Tim N.