[Samba] Samba 2.2.1a - ls inconsistancies.

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed May 15 11:50:02 GMT 2002

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Tom Hartwell wrote:

> I am running Red Hat 7.2 and using smbmount to mount a PC share from a NT4
> SP5 Workstation.
>
> I have a folder, in this share, of around 300 files and when I do ls -l I
> get inconsistencies.
> Sometimes files are missing, and if I keep repeating the command the files
> are then appear again.

This has been reported before. None of the information I have recieved so
far has been enough to show where the error is. But I haven't had all that
much time to spend on this problem either.

A network trace (ethereal or 'tcpdump -s 1600 -w filename port 139') would
show what is being received from the server. ethereal is very nice as it
decodes the messages for you.

Something else you could try is to boot a 2.2.x kernel and see if the
problem remains.

> Other times the size information is wrong.

This one is new ... A network trace would show if the server is returning
different sizes or if smbfs is somehow mixing the responses.

/Urban