[Samba] local/roaming profile default

Jay Ts jay at metran.cx
Fri May 3 11:52:02 GMT 2002

> > With Windows NT/2000/XP, it is possible for an administrator to
> > set either a roaming or local profile for each user of the computer.
> > The method varies a little among versions,
>
> I'm not concerned with the method as I'm familiar with the OS's.
> It's the difference in the default operation that I've experienced. When
> a new user logs onto a workstation (NT/2k/XP) that is a member of an MS
> PDC the profile starts out as local and can be made roaming by an admin.
> When a new user logs onto a workstation that is a member of a Samba PDC
> the profile starts out as roaming and can be changed to local.

Are you really sure of this?  I don't have time to check it right now,
but the way I remember it is that new users get a local profile, no
matter whether Windows or Samba is used as the PDC.  At least, that's
the way it worked when I did a fresh install of Windows, added a user
account, and logged onto the domain for the first time.

Is it possible that what you are experiencing there is attributable
to "funky Windows behavior", rather than whether Samba or Windows
is used as the PDC?

Jay Ts