[Samba] smbclient & printing on win2k box with HP Deskjet 560C (Drivers?) SMB 2.2.3a - Kernel 2.4.7, red hat 7.2

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Wed May 1 05:15:02 GMT 2002

You don't need samba to print, just smbclient. That is, you don't need to be
running a samba server.
Since you don't have much time and don't want to mess around with a lot of
stuff, here is the quick and dirty way. Assuming your printer is postscript,
just print your document in postscript format to a file.
Then,
smbclient -L Win2kServer
and see what the name of the printer share is.
Then:
smbclient //Win2kServer/PrinterShare
   Do the password stuff
print YourFile
quit

You can make this one command with:
cat YourFile | smbclient //Win2kServer/PrinterShare PasswordStuff -c " print -"
If you leave out the PasswordStuff you will be prompted for it.
If you have to filter your job for your printer (ie. It doesn't know
postscript), then things get slightly more complicated.
You will have to find a gs device for your printer. Man gs.
Joel