[Samba] Computer accounts & Win2K

mdt-tech-mailbox at shaw.ca mdt-tech-mailbox at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 29 11:42:07 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bradley W. Langhorst" <brad at langhorst.com>
Date: Friday, March 29, 2002 10:08 am
Subject: Re: [Samba] Computer accounts & Win2K

> On Fri, 2002-03-29 at 12:19, mdt-tech-mailbox at shaw.ca wrote:

>> 2. What *exactly* transpires when (a) one changes the name of
>> a Win2K client in the domain (ie. adds the *machine* to the
>> domain) and (b)when a user attempts to logon to a domain from
>> a Win2K machine that has a valid machine account in the domain?

> a) samba will run whatever is in "add user script" in my case
> /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u
> and should create the machine account in /etc/smbpasswd
> take a look there for your machine  (ending with a $)
> (also be sure it is in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow if you use
> shadow passwords)

> b) samba checks that the user is valid etc.
> take a look at the samba howto collection for more info on this

> you also need that signorseal registry patch to log in against
> a samba PDC.

Brad,

Thanks for the reply.  I had not thought about the shadow passwords
issue.  I can't remember whether I enabled shadow passwords when I
installed RedHat 7.2, but will look into it this evening when I get
home from work.

The "RequireSignOrSeal" registry entry is set to 0, so that is not the
problem.

Mike.