[Samba] MS Access and AccPac

Eric Anderson eanderson at okctech.com
Thu Mar 28 11:13:04 GMT 2002

It has been my experience that setting:

oplocks = no
level2 oplocks = no

on a per share basis is required for more than 2 users connected at the
same time to a particular file to avoid problems. The oplock contention
level is 2 by default, so more than 2 users requesting an oplock for a
file starts to cause confusion.

If you are using a database application such as Access, it is NEVER
advisable to use oplocks in the first place. The only reason for oplocks
is to boost performance over the network by caching files locally to
work on them. This should never be attempted for a real-time database.

This is not to say that regular file locks are not in place with the
above options, just the caching locks.

Hope this helps.

--

Eric Anderson