[Samba] samba 2.2.0.0 config on aix with win2k encrypted password issues

Marc Grober mgrober at ahfc.state.ak.us
Wed Mar 27 09:49:06 GMT 2002

I have samba 2.2.0.0 up and running on aix.
We have a win2k domain and I would like to be able to access shares from
the aix server from the win2k pro workstations. I would like to
authenticate using the PDC.

I can mount shares if there are no restirctions but as soon as I put
restrictions in I get an error message either that the password is bad
or the share is bad.

I have set encryption=yes as I understood that this would bypass any
necessity to do any regedit on the workstations involved. I have set
samba to server and pointed to our PDC, and have also set the samba conf
to user and share. I have set up an smbpasswd file in two locations
(both that set in the conf file and later to one in the private
directory of /var/samba because I received error messages from there as
well. I have set the smbpasswd as well using smbpasswd.
Am I thrashing here, missing bugs that have been fixed long since (we
are using 2.2.0.0 because it is pre-packaged for aix) Is this an issue
with the front end I am using (webmin or swat?) or am I missing some
major step??