[Samba] Re: PDF Print command

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed Mar 27 08:46:03 GMT 2002

Ok, it seems everyone has posted their own setups for this, but this is
the one that I find works the best for us (although it may be a bit of a
long script to keep in the smb.conf, but that way it's impossible to
lose it!:

[pdfprint]
~    path = /var/tmp
~    guest ok = No
~    printable = Yes
~    comment = PDF Generator
~    print command =  ps2pdf13 -dAutoFilterColorImages=false \
~                    -sColorImageFilter=FlateEncode %s ~%u/newpdf.pdf &&\
~                     mv -f %s ~%u/newps.ps && \
~                     echo "Please find your PDF and PS files at
Z:\\newpdf.pdf \and Z:\\newps.ps, and copy them somewhere else \
before you print more." \
~                     |smbclient -M %m -I %I -U printserver && \
~                     chmod 600 ~%u/newpdf.p*

Usually people don't try and shunt multiple jobs through at one, and
they are notified by popup where the pdf. We also keep the postscript,
since some people need postscript also  (no reason to have another share
just for ps). And we rely on windows supplying a name for the printed file.

Of course, you should upload a decent PS colour printer driver so it
works via point-and-print. We had one for a HP Designjet (NT drivers)
which I have lost. It was capable of doing PS up to A0, anyone know what
PS colour printers (with win2k drivers available) can print A0?

Also, is there any way to set a virtual printer like this not to spool
(on all the windows clients)?

| Message: 16
| From: David Mulcahy <david.mulcahy at eseol.co.uk>
| To: "Blanchard, Michael" <MBlanchard at grandaire.com>
| Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 20:07:06 +0000
| Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
| Subject: [Samba] Re: PDF Print command
|
| Try This
| The fist call from ps2pdf is the file in the spool dir. you may not
have the
| right permisions.  Have you set the spool dir for the printer and do
you have
| the correct permission try setting the spool dir to 777 (then test)
|
| eg
|
| [shr]
| 	comment = World Writable
| 	path = /shr
| 	read only = No
| 	guest ok = yes
| 	create mask = 0777
|
| [Acrobat]
| 	comment = Print a PDF Document
| 	path = /usr/local/samba/lib/spool            ** spool dir set to 777**
| 	guest ok = Yes
| 	printable = Yes
| 	print command = /usr/bin/printpdf %s; rm %s

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202
GPG Key                       http://ranger.dnsalias.com/gpg.key