[Samba] Netbios name resolution on Suse Linux 7.1 with Samba

Oyegbemi Akintan Oyegbemi.Akintan at oracle.com
Wed Mar 27 09:09:03 GMT 2002

I've been trying to figure out what I need to do to enable Netbios name
resolution using samba but all my effort has been to no avail. I
installed samba on Suse 7.1. This is how I configure and built it
1. configure
2. make nsswitch/libnss_wins.so
3. make install
4. cp /samba/samba2.2.3a/source/nsswitch/libnss_wins.so /lib
5. mkdir /usr/local/samba/var/locks
6. add wins to hosts: line entry in /etc/nsswitch.conf
7. ran /etc/startsmb :
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D

When I run /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbdlookup client name, it resolves to
IP but when I ping client, it returns an error: Unknown host

Can someone help me please, what am I doing wrong, I need to get this
working ASAP, I will really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks in advance

Oye