[Samba] Interesting problem/bug

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Wed Mar 27 02:08:30 GMT 2002

"Peter J. Milanese" wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I've recently introduced Linux Kernel 2.5.7 to
> my Redhat box, which is running Samba2.2.3a
>
> Service runs fine outgoing.
>
> When I smbmount, I get this:
>
> bash-2.04$ ls
> 1  b  d  m  M  r  r  R  R  s  w
>
> Every first character of the directory contents...
>
> Any clues on this?

What is the server?  The problem is (almost certainly) incorrect
negotiation of unicode - either the client (smbmount in this case, as it
handles the actuall connection) or the server is incorrectly sending
only unicode - the smbfs code in the kernel can't yet cope with this -
and simply proceses them as ascii strings.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net