[Samba] Win 2k + mapped drives = short time disconnections

Andreas Achtzehn samba at achtzehn.2y.net
Tue Mar 26 20:12:25 GMT 2002

Dear list reader,

we are having strange problems with our Samba 2.2.3a implementation. We
run Windows 2000 SP2 as PDC clients. The clients connect to the Samba
server without any further problems, but sometimes (twice to three times
a day without any special occurences) the clients just get disconnected.

The clients show the network-share icon with a little red X when
Explorer is opened. After clicking on the icon, the share is reconnected
and the users can continue to work. Sometimes this happens when user try
to start software from "Start-->Execute..." when the executable is on
the server. Windows just says, that the share is currently not
available.
Sometimes Excel spreadsheets are also a problem. When you try to open a
spreadsheet using Explorer, Excel starts but hangs for a while. There
are times when you even need to kill Excel before it shows the
spreadsheet.
We connect our workstations to the server by using a logon-script that
contains lines like

net use g: \\sv01\cdrom  /PERSISTENT:NO
					(we used this option due to some
problems we heard about with NT4)
It this the problem or where do I have to search for it?

Regards,
A. Achtzehn

--
{ --       the linux-society           -- }
{ Andreas Achtzehn                    | I }