[Samba] Is Samba Slow?

Brian Whitehead bwhitehd at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 25 18:45:02 GMT 2002

The dual nics will not double the bandwidth, but it will help with heavy
loads.  When one nic is busy the other will share the load.  You could try
binding the nics at the os level, but this will only bind them to a single
device, like another machine.

I personally have not done a performance benchmark between these different
NOS'.  I have however compared reliability side-by-side.  I've experienced
many reliability issues with Netware and Win2K.  Several random crashes and
lock ups requiring regular reboots.   I've not seen others complain of this
type of performance problem.  The first thing I would investigate is the
kernel version, to see if there are any I/O issues.  I know there have been
a few versions that have experienced some major I/O issues.  The next thing
I would be curious of, is whether the acl patch you're using has any effect
on performance.

Just a few months ago I transferred 40GB of data from a Netware server to
another Netware server and then transferred the same data to a Win2K server
and finally from the Win2K server to a Linux server.  The transfer to the
Linux server to a fraction of the time compared to the other transfers and I
did it by using smbclient from the Linux server.  But, again I didn't use
anything to measure the transfer rate.

You've got a few factors that could effect I/O in your new system.  I'm not
aware of what hardware your older system had, but the processor of your new
system won't be taxed very often, because the IDE harddrive is the
bottleneck.  You're also using LVM, which is a lot of overhead.  Anything
that handles disk management in software is extra overhead.  You might also
want to compare the performance among the different filesystems that Linux
supports, ext2, ext3, XFS, ReiserFS, ......  These are just some of the
major pieces that could have an effect on performance, then summing these up
could cause the performance differences you're having compared to the other
NOS'.  I'm not saying the samba doesn't have any performance issues.  I just
haven't experienced these problems.

--
Brian