[Samba] frustrating problems with "preexec = ..." option

Mikael Olenfalk mikael at netgineers.se
Fri Mar 22 03:33:04 GMT 2002

Hi!

in my smb.conf file, added the line

[statistics]
+	preexec = /bin/bash /home/scripts/stats /home/statistics

to be executed before I enter the [statistics] share, due to some error
or misconfiguration though, the command is *NOT* executed. The script
itself works
perfectly because when I type:

# /home/scripts/stats /home/statistics

the script is executed correctly (it creates to files in the folder
/home/statistics) even the line

# /bin/bash /home/scripts/stats /home/statistics

executes correctly. The scripts has owner nobody.nogroup, so there
should be no problems with permissions, I've run an "chmod o+x" (and
desperate chmod 777 ...) over the script, but both with no effect.

Smbd has become sighup'ped repeatedly (kill -HUP $(pidof smbd)) and the
log says that smbd has received and HUP signal.

/mikael