[Samba] Samba & journaled file systems

John Little jlittle_97 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 12:54:04 GMT 2002

Hi all,
Thank you for your responses.  I'm beginning to think
that maybe my question was taken the wrong way though.
 I wasn't trying to prove or disprove Tom's statement
but rather supplement my own knowledge in this area.

The only reason the question came to mind at all is
the age of his comment relative to the speed at which
technology moves.

All your responses have helped me gain a better
understanding how things work..ie it never occured to
me that that the use of one file system over another
(re Tom's statement) would necessarily be different in
a particular distribution (require patches or
updates). Having visited the XFS and ext3 (redhat)
sites had not answered the question for me.

I sincerely apologize to Tom or anyone else if they
found the question offensive in any way.

--- Jason Stewart <jstewart at rtl.org> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> As you may have seen from some of the earlier posts,
> alot of us are using
> EXT2 and EXT3 with ACL patches from
> http://acl.bestbits.at. XFS supports NT
> ACLs through samba without any patches, but it can
> be done on other
> filesystems that can support POSIX ACLs and on
> certain other filesystems
> with kernel patches.
>
> In the context of that article, I would say that Tom
> is partially correct
> in that if a user installs a kernel binary and does
> not want to mess with
> recompiling and patching a kernel, XFS would be the
> only option with
> Mandrake to support ACL. Out of the context of a
> Mandrake install, or for
> an experienced user the statement is false.
>
> Cheers,
> Jason Stewart
> Systems Administrator/Programmer
> Right to Life of Michigan
> Tel: (616)532-2300
> Fax: (616)532-3461
>

> At 05:39 AM 3/20/2002 -0800, you wrote:
> >I recently read an article that said XFS is the
> only
> >journaled files system that supports Windows ACLs.
> >
> >The article was written by Tom Berger on Sept. 20,
> >2001
> >
> >Does this still hold true?
> >
> >The article can be found at the link below in the
> >second paragraph under Which File system To Choose.
> >

>http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/install/ipartit.html#fs
> >
> >Regards to all,
> >John Little

=====
Thanks,
John Little
Happiness is understanding how things work.