[Samba] printing to network postscript printer gives ascii output of postscript job

Andy Crichton andy.crichton at abibuildingdata.com
Wed Mar 20 06:59:04 GMT 2002

solaris 7 with samba 2.0.7

I already have several network printers on the box which work fine (although
I didn't set them up)
I used the following commands to configure the printer under solaris
lpadmin -p NAME_OF_PRINTER -o protocol=bsd,dest=IP_ADDR -v /dev/null -m
netstandard -T PS _I postscript
enable NAME_OF_PRINTER
accept NAME_OF_PRINTER

if I print using lp it works fine however I installed the postscript printer
drivers for the machine on a win98 box and printed through samba, the output
consisted of the postscript source in ascii. The only entry in the smb.conf
mentioning printing is
[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

Thanks for any ideas
Andy Crichton

p.s. the printer is a danka 4220 MF but I presume this isn't the cause.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. The contents are confidential and may be privileged.
Any views or opinions expressed are those of the sender and may not reflect the views or opinions of the company and the company accepts no liability in respect thereof.
If you have received this email in error please notify postmaster at abibuildingdata.com immediately.

http://www.star.net.uk