[Samba] printing to network postscript printer gives ascii output of postscript job

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Wed Mar 20 10:33:04 GMT 2002

Andy Crichton wrote:

> solaris 7 with samba 2.0.7
>
> I already have several network printers on the box which work fine (although
> I didn't set them up)
> I used the following commands to configure the printer under solaris
> lpadmin -p NAME_OF_PRINTER -o protocol=bsd,dest=IP_ADDR -v /dev/null -m
> netstandard -T PS _I postscript
> enable NAME_OF_PRINTER
> accept NAME_OF_PRINTER
>
> if I print using lp it works fine however I installed the postscript printer
> drivers for the machine on a win98 box and printed through samba, the output
> consisted of the postscript source in ascii. The only entry in the smb.conf
> mentioning printing is
> [printers]
>         comment = All Printers
>         path = /var/spool/samba
>         guest ok = Yes
>         printable = Yes
>         browseable = No
>
> Thanks for any ideas
> Andy Crichton
>
> p.s. the printer is a danka 4220 MF but I presume this isn't the cause.

I don't know about that particular driver but some drivers send some
non-postscript commands at the beginning of the file that confuse the
printing system into thinking it is a text file. Take a look at the
script packaging/SGI/sambalp in the samba source directory for an
example of how to fix this. You will have to change the lpcommand
variable and other paths if you are not using SYSV printing. The
important stuff is in the "if ($PSFIX)" section.
Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177