[Samba] Passwords and Windows 95

Prestidge, Amber M SI-FCGS Amber.A.Prestidge at si.shell.com
Tue Mar 19 09:52:52 GMT 2002

I am attempting to share an HP-UX 10.20 drive with Windows 95 machines and
have performed the following steps.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work!!  Can
you please advise?

1.	Configured smb.conf on HP-UX 10.20 (Catwoman) as follows:

		[global]
		# pcguest has a null password at present
		guest account = pcguest
		log file = /usr/samba/samba_log.%m
		share modes = yes

		[public]
		comment = Public Stuff
		# Temporary use samba whilst testing
		path = /opt/samba
		public = yes
		writable = yes
		printable = no

		[homes]
		comment = Home Directories
		browseable = no
		read only = no
		create mode = 0750

		[tmp]
		comment = Temporary file space
		path = /tmp
		read only = no
		public = yes

		[ceressys]
		comment = var/opt/netware/data/ceressys mapped as T
		path = /var/opt/netware/data/ceressys
		public = no
		writable = yes

		[ceres]
		comment = ceressys/ceres mapped as S
		path = /ceressys/ceres
		public = no
		writable = yes

		[transfer]
		comment = var/opt/netware/data/ceressys/transfer mapped as I
		path = /var/opt/netware/data/ceressys/transfer
		public = no
		writable = yes

2.	Validated smb.conf file with testparm.

3.	Restarted smbd and nmbd processes.

4.	Created Windows 95 registry DWORD setting EnablePlainTextPassword on
CLIENT machine with value 0x01 under:
	HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP\

4.	Rebooted CLIENT machine.

5.	Attempted to access Catwoman
	Clicking on:
	Windows Explorer -> Network Neighbourhood -> Entire Network ->
	Workgroup -> Catwoman

	Results in the Message Box:
	You must supply a password to make this connection
	Resource: \\CATWOMAN\IPC$
	Password:

	Entered Catwoman root password: FAILED
	Entered Catwoman pcguest password (null): FAILED
	Entered CLIENT machine password: FAILED

6.	There is no problem with sharing a Windows95 drive with HP-UX 10.20
(Catwoman).

Can anybody help??

Amber