[Samba] home directory auto creation.

Mahoney, Tom tom.mahoney at riaco.com
Fri Mar 15 14:42:08 GMT 2002

I have samba on the domain with winbind configured.
I setup sshd to temporarily to allow me to login as a domain user.
It wasn't working. I had template homedir set to /home/%D/%U.
There was no /home/<domain> directory oh and I also had template shell set
to /bin/false.
At that point it would authenticate ok according to the logs but then
immediatly exit.
That made sense given the template shell.
I went ahead and created the /home/<domain> directory in both all upper and
lower case unsure which it would use and then changed the template shell to
/bin/bash.
I was then able to login with my domain user.
Not enough.
I deleted the two /home/<domain> directories and left the template shell set
to bash to test whether or not it would automatically create the domain
directory on it's own. It didn't and the login bombs even though
authentication works.

My question is this.
Should samba/winbindd be able to create the domain directory on it's own or
am I expected to create that my self. Also what would everyone recommend for
template homedir? Would everyone consider it better practice to set it to
/home/%U to utilize the unix account if it's already there or would you keep
the domain and unix account seperate?

Also I'm writing this in outlook and don't want to tick everyone off.
I suspect that the autowrap is only autowrapping for me.
Please let me know if I'm putting extra long line messages into the list so
I know to use a carriage return. Sorry if I am.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. =)