[Samba] home directory auto creation.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Fri Mar 15 20:12:04 GMT 2002

"Mahoney, Tom" wrote:

> My question is this.
> Should samba/winbindd be able to create the domain directory on it's own or
> am I expected to create that my self. Also what would everyone recommend for
> template homedir? Would everyone consider it better practice to set it to
> /home/%U to utilize the unix account if it's already there or would you keep
> the domain and unix account seperate?

Even if you pointed it at the existing unix account, the uid the user
gets during their login would not match anyway.

So you pretty much have to create the /home/domain/user strucutre.  I
suggest using the 'pam_mkhomedir' PAM module to create the home
directories.  Samba will use this as well, if configured --with-pam,
when 'obey pam restrictions = yes' and an /etc/pam.d/samba file is
correctly setup.

If you are wondering what a users homedir will look like, just finger
them - it does the same calls everything else does to find out this kind
of thing.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org