[Samba] File System Error [1026]

David M. Rector dave at clean.lanl.gov
Fri Mar 15 11:21:04 GMT 2002

Please help,

I have spent the day searching the documentation and the mail list with
out much luck. Please forgive if this question is already answered
somewhere, if so, please simply point me in the right direction.

I have RedHat 7.2 with Samba 2.2.1a and configured security = share

I am using Windows 98 and can map my home directory to a drive letter, but
I observe several strange behaviors. The log files are suspicisuoly void
of any information.

1) When I try to copy a simple file 'test.c' from the linux directory to
the windows machine, I get a 'File System Error [1026]' error. And cannot
copy the file.

2) When I try to descend into a directory on the linux directory I get a
'The Folder E:/test does not exist'

3) When I open some files, directly, it works, but some files, such as a
word document give me a 'File could not be found' error

4) When I try to drag an entire folder onto the linux drive, I get a 'file
already exists' error, and none of the contents of the directory are
copied, even though the directory is created. Strangely, I can copy single
files from the Windows side to the linux side, but then cannot bring them
back as noted in point #1 above.

I think all of this is a result of the same problem, but perhaps not.

I thank you for any help you can give.

Dave Rector
*:^)