[Samba] newbie question: How do I perserve directory permissions?

Terence Lim tlim at mda.ca
Fri Mar 15 11:34:03 GMT 2002

Hi Samba-Users,

I am new to samba suite and I am having problems with directory permissions.

Suppose I map a network drive in Windows to a Unix server. In Unix, I create
a test1 directory and the permissions for test1 are: drwx-rwx-rwx. If I
create a directory in Windows in the same Unix location (using the mapped
drive), the permissions for that created directory are: drwxr-xr-x

In both cases, I am using the exact same Unix account.

How do I configure samba so that if I create a directory in Windows, it will
have the same permissions as if I had created that directory in Unix.

The following demonstrates my problem:
-
UnixServer:/home//tlim/TEMP% mkdir test1
H:\TEMP\mkdir test2  ##where H: maps \\UnixServer\home\tlim
UnixServer:/home//tlim/TEMP% ls -l
drwxrwxrwx   2 tlim     usergroup     512 Mar 15 10:22 test1
drwxr-xr-x   2 tlim     usergroup     512 Mar 15 10:22 test2
---

Thanks in advance,

Terence