[Samba] Serving Samba through a Firewall

Hactar eben at gate.net
Thu Mar 14 08:37:02 GMT 2002

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Stuart Grossart wrote:

> I am looking to serve a SAMBA filesystems to client at the other side of a
> firewall, does anyone know what ports/services, need to be opened just to
> deliver the filesystem.

This is related, but not the same problem.  I have a setup like this:

192.168.0.x              24.92.x.x
my main box        \ --- firewall machine --- ( the net ) --- other user
rest of my network /

Important incoming connections (web, SSH) to the firewall get
port-forwarded to my main box.  Outgoing connections are NAT'ed.  The
other user has an account on my machine, by which he can also access
Samba.  The only way I found for him to read/write files from both
machines at the same time was this.  I figured out how to do this using
PuTTY.  Since the only important part is forwarding ports, any SSH client
would do.

<begin quoted material>
 In PuTTY, On the last panel (Connection -> SSH -> Tunnels),
  Check the box for "Local ports..."
  Add new forwarded port:
   Box 1: number_above_1023
   Box 2: remote_machine:139
  Click the radio button:
   Remote
  Press "Add".
<end quoted material>

Basically what that does (according to me, earlier; ICBW), is forward
connections made to my main box's localhost, port 139, through SSH, to the
remote machine at port number_above_1023.  Log into the Samba machine
using that SSH client.  Then you need:

smbclient -L remote_machine -p number_above_1023 -I localhost -U
remote_SMB_username

That will get you filesystem access to the Samba machine, and smbclient
access to the remote machine.  Kind of the reverse of what you wanted, but
there it is.

--
-eben         eQbWeEnR at gTaYtUeI.nOePt         home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

        Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be
      adequately explained by stupidity."  Derived from Robert Heinlein