[Samba] How to switch of the users profile copying ?

pilsl at goldfisch.at pilsl at goldfisch.at
Thu Mar 14 03:11:05 GMT 2002

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 10:40:16AM +0100, Viktor Posta wrote:

> My users are mostly use win2000 and the profile directory can be really
> large after some month, so in this case I need a lot of Extra storage to
> store them on the PDC !

you can exclude certain parts from the users profile using a
systempolicy. For example we exclude the temporary internetfiles and
the outlook-folders that contain imap-caches. (both completely
uncritical data)

Additionally we dont store the users workfiles in the profile but on a
servershare (which reduced the profilesize and makes updating faster,
but does not reduce space needed on the server)

> We don't need this feature basically, so is it possible somehow to switch
> of this feature ?

you can use local accounts instead of domainaccounts then, but be
aware, that this data will not be included in the serverbackup then
and the users cannot roam easily between different clients ...

or - the other way round : why do you need serverside profiles ?

best
peter