[Samba] WinXP Client with Samba 2.2.3a PDC

Homann, Mathias Mathias.Homann at airbus.dasa.de
Thu Mar 14 01:25:15 GMT 2002

Ripper wrote:

> The XP workstation reports either denied access or domain not found.  Is
> this a "known" issue or am I in need of digging my config further?
> Thanks.

Had the very same problems. You need to apply that 'requiresignorseal'
registry patch on XP which comes with samba docs.

BTW, One would think that XP really applied that one, when you
click^2-ed the file in windoze exploder and said 'yes' to the question
if you'd like to import that into the registry... but no, after I
imported that one several times and still had the trouble with 'domain
not found' I checked the registry, and 'lo! "RequireSignOrSeal=1"..
GRAH!

BTW2, found it necessary to apply the very same regpatch on Win2k SP2,
too.

BTW3. What is REALLY moronic is what windoze does when this signorseal
bullshit is still active:
(found it while ethersniffing the connection when my XP couldn't find
its PDC)
It tries to find the PDC by talking HTTP-Like to some very strange
multicast address ON PORT 80!!! After that, it talks the same HTTP-like
gibberish to the address of PDC obtained from wins, also on port 80!!
Guess what the apache on my PDC thought about that?

bye,
	MH