[Samba] smbd service won't start

Gilbert C Healton ghealton at hiway1.exit109.com
Wed Mar 13 11:37:04 GMT 2002

You need to ensure samba is automatically started at boot time. On
UNIX/Linux systems with a /etc/init.d/smb file, login as root and enter
the following command:

	# chkconfig --list smb

If the reply does not have levels 3 through 5 ON, as shown below, you
need to enable Samba at boot time.

   smb       0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on  6:off

To enable Samba, continue with the following commands

	# chkconfig --add smb
	# chkconfig smb on

Assuming you have killed all of the SAMBA daemons, programs, etc., you
manually started, and NO SAMBA PROGRAMS are running at all, you can
issue the following to start Samba without having to reboot:

	# service smb start

(there is also a stop, restart, and reload option to `service smb`)

Do you know about the swat program for configuring Samb from web
browsers?

ghealton at exit109.com   http://www.exit109.com/~ghealton/
	Computers are like air conditioners:
	      they don't work well when Windows are left open