[Samba] "max disk size = 2047" by share

Ron Creamer ron at pageworks.com
Wed Mar 13 10:33:04 GMT 2002

We regularly boot ghost from a special DOS floppy to upload/backup a
disk image to a samba server from our important servers.

Currently, in our smb.conf we have to specify "max disk size = 2047",
because if we don't, ghost complains that there is not enough room to
store the backup image. Not enough room, that is, with over 40GB free.
Anyway, it's an old DOS FAT 16 limitation I think.

The "max disk size" parameter is global to smb.conf, and therefore, all
our normal users on all other shares see disk space free as only 2GB.

Does anybody know of a way to specify this on a share by share basis?
This way, we could set the max disk size only on the ghost share, and
have the other shares showing their true disk size.

Thanks