[Samba] upper and lower case filenames

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 13 09:36:02 GMT 2002

UNIX filenames are case-sensitive, DOS/Windows filenames are not. To a
Windows machine, SEI001 and sei001 are the same filename. SMB is a
Windows protocol, so the behavior you describe is exactly what I would
expect Samba to do. It's the "right" behavior for something that wants
to look like an NT Server.

If both machines are running Samba on UNIX and you're not too worried
about interoperability with Windows machines (but if not, why are you
running Samba?) you can try messing with the "case sensitive" option, it
might do what you want but is also likely to end up causing strange
problems for Windows clients.

It works with NFS because NFS is a UNIX protocol. It will also work with
ftp, rcp, scp, rsync, and other common UNIX tools. If you need to retain
filename case while transferring files from one UNIX machine to another,
I think that Samba really isn't the best tool for the job.

--
Michael Heironimus