[Samba] HELP!Weird user homes share behavior

Kiarna Boyd kboyd at gsd.harvard.edu
Wed Mar 13 05:08:03 GMT 2002

Hi folks,

I have been using Samba 2.2.2 on Solaris 7 happily for a while now.

All of a sudden users can map other users home accounts without having to reauthenticate.
The dialogue box to map as user doesn't even appear on Win 98/NT/2000.

The facts:

I added a pointer to a wins server a few weeks ago, but removing it doesn't seem to effect anything.(not that it should...)
all my users are in a common Unix group.
To see if it was just flaky Unix permissions I tried my old Samba version
Version 1.9.18p3 which behaves normally. Users are forced to authenticate for a home share map.
All other shares seem to be fine too.
I rolled my smb.conf back but it don't seem to matter...

global:
security =user
(I'm trying share right now to se if that helps)
guest=no
preload=homes

homes:
guest=no