[Samba] Problem with duplicate directories

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Mar 12 14:15:02 GMT 2002

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Pedro Nuno da Costa wrote:

> and i execute this one to copy the files,
>
> cp -apv /mnt/actualiza/. /home/ac/ >> /home/copias/actualiza.txt
>
> he copys all files but if the directories have different case (example
> source (AaA) destination (AAA) ) he creates a new folder and the clients
> with W95 only can access to one of them.

Not sure if I follow you, but does this example match what you are seeing?

Before copying the dirs contain these files:

/home/ac:
dirA
dirB
fileX

/mnt/actualiza:
dira
dirb
filex

After copy /home/ac contains:
dirA
dira
dirB
dirb
fileX
filex

And you would like dira from "/mnt/actualiza" to match dirA in "/home/ac"?

The filesystem you use for /home/ac is case sensitive so AaA and AAA are
different filenames. Perhaps if you used a case in-sensitive one instead?
(No, I have no suggestions)

You could create a wrapper script around cp that translates filenames to
upper/lower case as appropriate and rewrite the paths it uses. Or you
could get the source to the cp command and change that.

This isn't really a samba problem, it is simply that cp and most unix
filesystems are case sensitive. Perhaps samba has some option to do "name
mangling" when more than one dir has the same name?
(in a case-less comparison)

/Urban