[Samba] Re: join 2000 box to domain - troubles

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Tue Mar 12 08:40:05 GMT 2002

> Message: 4
> From: Terry Davis <tdavis at approbation.org>
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Date: 11 Mar 2002 17:33:51 -0600
> Subject: [Samba] join 2000 box to domain - troubles
>
> Hello,
> I am trying to join a 2000 box to my domain.  I go through the steps and
> it tells me "Logon Failure:".  I am guessing that if it got to this
> point, that a machine account exists and everything is good there....

Where does it fail and give you the "Logon Failure message? Better than
guessing would be to do an ldapsearch for the machine account, and see
whether it has uid, rid and {lm,nt}password or whatever the attributes
are. I suspect it hasn't got that far, because ...

> I am using 'administrator' as the user.  This user is part of the group
> 'Domain Admins'.  In my smb.conf I have this set:
> domain admin group = @"Domain Admins"

You have to use "root", you cannot use any other user (until 3.0.0 I
believe). That of course means root needs an smbpasswd.

> I am guessing that either the password for 'administrator' is somehow
> goofed in my ldap server or samba can't tell if administrator is part of
> the right group(s).  I turned on some debugging and didnt get out any
> useful information.

Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202
GPG Key                       http://ranger.dnsalias.com/gpg.key