[Samba] separate or together: does it really matter?

Kerns, Mike mike.kerns at boeing.com
Tue Mar 12 08:14:03 GMT 2002

Hiya!

I have 2 servers, one for development and one for production, each with
different sets of users.  I don't need to sync the passwords or anything
between them.  I have them each in their own workgroup.  Would there be any
advantage to joining them into a workgroup with each other?

Here are the globals for the dev box, the prod box is the same except for
the appropriate IPs and a workgroup name of PROD.

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = DEV
        netbios name = SERVER1
        interfaces = IP.ADD.RE.SS/NET.MA.SK.0 127.0.0.1
        security = SERVER
        password server = bunch, of, comma, separated, wins, domains
        username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/users.map
        name resolve order = wins host bcast
        max open files = 16000
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
        wins server = IP.ADD.RE.SS
        socket address = IP.ADD.RE.SS
        guest account = smbnull

TIA,

Mike

The box said "Runs on Windows 2000 or better" so I loaded it on Linux.