[Samba] new user: confused about user/password stuffs

P Qiu pplam at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 8 00:21:11 GMT 2002

I am trying to use my w2k box (not in domain, only in
workgroup) to access my samba server.

my smb.conf file:
[global]
        workgroup = SAMBA
        netbios name = TESTSMB
        server string = Samba Server
        security = SERVER
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
        dns proxy = No
        guest account = samba

[tmp]
        comment = tmp share folder
        path = /tmp

When I use the following command try to map to it, it
keeps fails:

net use x: \\TESTSMB\tmp

The password or user name is invalid for
\\TESTSMB\tmp.

Type the password for \\TESTSMB\tmp:
System error 1326 has occurred.

Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

My w2k is login as Administrator which has no password
in it.

Can anyone point out to me what the problem is?

thanks.

=====
--Patrick :-)