[Samba] new user: confused about user/password stuffs

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Mar 8 00:46:15 GMT 2002

P Qiu wrote:

>I am trying to use my w2k box (not in domain, only in
>workgroup) to access my samba server.
>
>my smb.conf file:
>[global]
>        workgroup = SAMBA
>        netbios name = TESTSMB
>        server string = Samba Server
>        security = SERVER
>        encrypt passwords = Yes
>        update encrypted = Yes
>        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>        max log size = 50
>        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
>SO_SNDBUF=8192
>        dns proxy = No
>        guest account = samba
>
>[tmp]
>        comment = tmp share folder
>        path = /tmp
>

>When I use the following command try to map to it, it
>keeps fails:
>
>net use x: \\TESTSMB\tmp
>
>The password or user name is invalid for
>\\TESTSMB\tmp.
>
>Type the password for \\TESTSMB\tmp:
>System error 1326 has occurred.
>
>Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
>

>My w2k is login as Administrator which has no password
>in it.
>
>Can anyone point out to me what the problem is?

You probably don't have a "Administrator" user on the UNIX
machine.  Thus, it's the username that doesn't match.

If you don't want to put users on the UNIX machine, something
more like:
security = share
guest ok = yes

might work better for you.  I wouldn't recommend this unless
you're behind a well-managed firewall.