[Samba] Problems with smbpasswd

Bobby Mitchell bmitchel at niac.usra.edu
Thu Mar 7 05:53:06 GMT 2002

I am having trouble changing passwords with smbpasswd on the Samba
server while logged in as a user. I get this error message:
machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: Error was : The
specified password is invalid.

When I log in as root I can change the password. I'm also trying to use
"unix password sync = yes" to change the unix password when I change the
smb password.

The file, /etc/samba/smbpasswd, that contains the passwords has
permissions 600. I just changed the perms to 777 to test and got the
same results.

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Bobby M.

[global]
   workgroup = NIAC
   netbios name = ORION
   server string = Samba Server
   encrypt passwords = Yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd
   unix password sync = Yes
   log level = 5
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
   domain admin group = ntadmin
   add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false
-M %u
   logon script = startup.bat
   logon path = \\%N\profiles\%u
   logon drive = H: