[Samba] Need Some Printer Info

Homann, Mathias Mathias.Homann at airbus.dasa.de
Thu Mar 7 00:05:05 GMT 2002

Vinay Sequeira wrote:

> Hi All,
> I am a newbie administrator. We need to replace our old HP Laserjet 4Si
> with another new HP printer. Client Machines running on windows print to
> these printers via Samba 2.0.5a  which is running on Redhat.
> 1) How do I go about replacing these printers. Samba was setup by an earlier
> Admin, and I am still in the process of learning it :-)

1. configure the printer in your machine's printing system, so that
print jobs from a shell 'come out right'
2. change the printer share in samba to point at the new printer

> 2) Any suggestions for some Good HP printers (below $2500) with which I
> will have no trouble configuring in Samba or RedHat Linux 7.2?  We are
> presently looking at HP LaserJet 4100tn, 4100tdn and 8150n.

dunno how much the Lj 2100M is in $, but I got that one and it's just
fine.
btw, any printer wich can print postscript should be no trouble at all,
and any PCL printer should be almost as fine.

bye,
	MH