[Samba] My experiences of the spoolss subsystem

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at lineone.net
Mon Mar 4 07:33:06 GMT 2002

My experiences so far -

   After I upgraded from 2.something to 2.2.2 I added a printer to my Samba
server (an Epson Stylus COLOR 400) and all went well - I was even able to
upload the drivers eventually and then all the NT4 clients could see it
automatically.  I upgraded to 2.2.3a, and still no problems until about a
week later.  I needed another station to be able to print, which I thought
would be no trouble, but it failed to work - unfortunately I am writing
with hindsight and cannot remember the problem completely.  After that,
noone seemed to be able to print test pages - this appeared to be a
corruption in the driver which I have not yet been able to work out - the
thing that leads me to the driver, is that when the user clicks Print Test
Page, the machine Blue-screens on them!

   What I did to solve this is to remove the printer drivers from their
location on the server, remove the print$ share and remove the printers
from the clients.  When I added them again, it asked for the drivers, which
I placed on a share accessible to all workstations, and it works fine again.

   I write this email not in the hope of a response or with the ability
unfortunately to reproduce the symptoms as this is a production server and
as it is working I would have a hard time justifying downtime.  I hope that
someone can look into this and that this information helps - if not -
please feel free to throw it out of the window and curse the fact that I
was on very limited time and couldn't afford to take notes.  Sorry for such
a depressing email people, but hope it helps.