[Samba] Migrating from packages to source

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at lineone.net
Mon Mar 4 07:57:03 GMT 2002

I thought I'd put this together for those who might find it useful :

The scenario :

Running version of samba less than the current version that was provided by
the distribution.
Want to play with new features or just upgrade a running system.

The solution :

Download the source CD for your distribution.  - A big download I know -
but you could buy it from cheeplinux/cheepbytes etc instead.

In this CD is generally a spec file for how the distributors installed,
which gives the correct configure options.

once you have compiled with those options and any additional ones, do a
make install, kill all samba daemons and start them again, and hey presto -
all files installed as per the originals.

I provide here the slackware 8 options, 'cos I have them, if anyone want's
to send me their distro's spec file, I can become the maintainer of a
migration-to-source howto.

address them to specs at theendofhistether.org.uk

Hope this helps someone,

Martyn

Specs for Slack 8 :

cd source
./configure \
   --with-fhs \
   --prefix=/usr \
   --localstatedir=/var \
   --bindir=/usr/bin \
   --sbindir=/usr/sbin \
   --sysconfdir=/etc \
   --with-configdir=/etc/samba \
   --with-privatedir=/etc/samba/private \
   --with-codepagedir=/etc/codepages \
   --with-smbmount \
   --with-quotas \
   --with-syslog \
   --with-utmp \
   --with-netatalk \
   --with-sambabook=/usr/share/swat/using_samba \
   --with-ssl \
   --with-sslinc=/usr/include/openssl \
   --with-msdfs \
   --with-vfs \