Imprints status? [was Re: [Samba] Printer installation with imprintspackage]

Homann, Mathias Mathias.Homann at airbus.dasa.de
Mon Mar 4 02:38:03 GMT 2002

Gerald Carter wrote:

> Folks,
>
> For those that have wondered The Imprints project is in an unmaintained
> state right now.  I've been meaning to check with some people
> about possible resources to carry it on or even if we should.
> As soon as I find out more, I'll post a message to the list here.
> Sorry for any confusion.  I know the current docs refer to
> imprints.samba.org

the imprints package is NOT my source of headaches, all it does is parse
some inf files and prepare tarballs. The trouble here is the buggy
spoolss stuff as soon as you have more than a few printers, and/or run
the smbd on something bigger... I have a test installation at home with
a samba 2.2.1 on an intel linux box with two printers that works smooth
as silk, but as soon as I use the same version on HP-UX with lots of
printers it all goes haywire.

segfaults, NT_STATUS_INVALID_LOCK_SEQUENCE, trouble with translating
unicode to ascii on big-endian machines, etc etc...

The problem is, I have to serve the clients Win2k drivers, and
make_printerdef doesn't work with the nt4 inf files for some of them.

bye,
	M.Homann