[Samba] Samba & VPN

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sun Mar 3 15:46:03 GMT 2002

On Saturday 02 March 2002 06:18, Greg Boundy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a linux box running samba 2.2.3a on a network.  All machines on the
> network can see each other and browsing works fine.
>
> When I use an external machine, connect it to the network via a VPN to the
> linux box all existing machines continue to work fine.  Existing machines
> can see and browse the machine through the VPN.  However, the machine
> connected via the VPN (win2k) can not see or browse any machine other than
> the linux box, even though it can ping the machines and nbtstat shows the
> name gets resolved.

Are you using two different subnets?
Browsing works via broadcasts.  Broadcasts don't cross subnets, so a machine
on (say) 172.16.0.1 will never be able to browse a machine on 172.16.1.1
There are two solutions for this.
1) Try using "net use" to the IP address, you should be able to connect OK.
2) Set up a WINS server.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services