[Samba] error -13 with smbopen

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Sat Mar 2 06:23:08 GMT 2002

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Joel Hammer wrote:

> Using linux on both server and client.
> I can run smbmount and all seems ok. But, when I try to use kfm to browse a
> share, I get the following messages thousands of times in /var/log/messages
> and things more or less hang up.  I have to telinit 1 to get control of my
> client machine.
>
> smb_open: aph5/.directory open failed, result=-13
> smb_readpage_sync: aph5/.directory open failed, error=-13

-13 is -EACCESS, see /usr/include/asm/errno.h. The server isn't allowing
access, if you think it should check permissions on the server side.

Sounds like kfm isn't handling the error return properly if it starts
looping on the same directory. But you haven't included enough detail to
say.

smbfs is rather verbose. This causes extra work and you may want to try
editing fs/smbfs/Makefile and remove the line with:
    EXTRA_CFLAGS += -DSMBFS_PARANOIA
recompile and reinstall. You won't get anymore "open failed" messages
(the opens still fails, of course).

/Urban