[Samba] Could not access <WinXP box name> Invalid user/password combination

Michael Oatman sunsetsea at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 2 03:13:03 GMT 2002

Hi all,
I'm having a few probs getting Samba 2.2.2 to work on a Linux RH7.2 box.

1) Specifically, when I browse (using KDE's Konqueror -- neither Gnome's Nautilus nor mozilla seem
to be able to smb://) to any one of our WinXP boxen (only type) on our internal network, I get a
prompt for user/pass which I enter successfully, the
n get displayed all available shares on whichever box to which I browse.  So I then click on a
share name (for which I have access) and I get the error message:
     Could not access
     <WinXP box name>
     Invalid user/password combination
This happens immediately after I clicked on a share for which I successfully entered a valid
user/pass combo.  Anyone know what's going on?

2) None of the WinXP boxen on our internal network can see the RH7.2 box in the folder view of our
workgroup.  It was browsable before I used Webmin, although no valid user/pass combos would
authenticate properly.  Here is my current (post-Webmin) /etc/samba/smb.conf:

Convention: <description of value> in <brackets> when literal value unnecessary

[snipped comments]
#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]
	smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
	force directory mode = 755
	force create mode = 644
	null passwords = yes
	encrypt passwords = yes
	case sensitive = yes
	interfaces = 10.0.0.254/255.255.255.0 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
	security = user
	map hidden = yes
	comment = FTP Root
	netbios aliases = <RH7.2_box_name.Our_Workgroup_Name>
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	remote browse sync = 10.0.0.255
	default = homes
	socket address = 10.0.0.254 127.0.0.1
	default case = upper
	path = /var/ftp
	remote announce = 10.0.0.255
	allow hosts = 10/8 127/8
	create mode = 644
	dns proxy = no
	protocol = NT1
	force group = smbusers
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
	bind interfaces only = yes
	invalid users =
adm,amanda,apache,bin,daemon,ftp,games,gdm,gopher,halt,ident,junkbust,ldap,lp,mail,mailman,mailnull,mysql,named,news,nfsnobody,nobody,nscd,ntp,operator,pcap,postgres,pvm,radvd,root,rpc,rpcuser,rpm,shutdown,squid,sync,uucp,xfs, at adm, at apache, at bin, at daemon, at dip, at disk, at floppy, at ftp, at games, at gdm, at gopher, at ident, at junkbust, at kmem, at ldap, at lock, at lp, at mail, at mailman, at mailnull, at man, at mem, at mysql, at named, at news, at nfsnobody, at nobody, at nscd, at ntp, at pcap, at popusers, at postgres, at pppusers, at pvm, at radvd, at root, at rpc, at rpcuser, at rpm, at slipusers, at slocate, at squid, at sys, at tty, at utmp, at uucp, at wheel, at xfs
	printcap name = /etc/printcap
	dont descend = .*
	preserve case = yes
	max disk size = 2000
	workgroup = <Our Workgroup Name>
	server string = Gateway + Web + FTP
	map system = yes
	netbios name = <Linux RH7.2 Box Name>
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	load printers = yes
	guest account = <name_of_guest_account>
	write list = <list,of,allowed,users>
[homes]
	path =
	writable = yes
	browseable = no
	create mode = 0664
	map to guest = default
	directory mode = 0775
	comment = My Documents
	valid users = %S
	follow symlinks = no

[tmp]
	path = /tmp/samba
	writable = yes
	comment = Temporary Folder
	create mode = 0644
	directory mode = 0775
	public = yes

[FTP Root]
	read list = <allowed,users,and, at groups>
	sync always = yes
	default case = upper
	write list = <more,allowed,users>
	strict locking = yes