[Samba] Expectations: actual vs. published

Robert Hartung* rwhart at netexpress.net
Fri Mar 1 16:45:05 GMT 2002

Hi again,
  I'm hoping this will make it to the list.

  I'm still puzzled by the behavior of the smb daemon.  Jerry Carter's book and
talk at the recent Linux World Expo state that after starting nmbd and smbd
with e.g. "smbd -D ; nmbd -D" that a "ps -ef | grep mbd" should return the PIDs
of both smbd and nmbd.

  I have downloaded and installed both a rpm version of samba-2.2.3a and the
tar.gz version at different times.  I cannot ever get a PID for smbd no matter
if I start it as above or via "/etc/init.d/smb start".

  I have browsed Carter's book and the 122 pages of the man pages to no avail.
There must be an explanation but I don't know where else to look.

Thanks,

Bob